Teenwise Minnesota's Public Policy Goal
Public policies related to adolescent pregnancy prevention and parenting must be based on the most current, proven research. To ensure that evidence-based public policies are adopted and implemented on state and local levels, Teenwise Minnesota educates policymakers and policy influencers about credible research so that policies and programs reflect best practice.
Adolescent pregnancy is a complex issue requiring prevention and intervention strategies at all stages of a child's life. In order to address adolescent pregnancy, prevention and parenting in a comprehensive manner, Minnesota policies should:
- Support adolescent pregnancy prevention programs based on evidence of their success and/or their use of proven strategies.
- Support adolescent parent programs based on evidence of their success and/or their use of proven strategies.
- Ensure comprehensive sexuality education for youth that includes medically accurate and developmentally appropriate information on abstinence and contraception.
- Ensure that youth have access to confidential health care services.
- Address health disparities by supporting programs and services to communities and populations with highest rates of teen pregnancy.
- Support service learning and youth development programs, particularly those that occupy out-of-school time.